Tips And Tricks To Combat Silverfish In The Greater Chicago Area
January 15, 2023
Even pests that aren’t considered dangerous can still amount to larger problems if they get inside your home. Silverfish are common invasive pests in the Chicago area and really anywhere that’s known for moist climates. And even though they aren’t considered as serious as termites or some other destructive pests, silverfish in your home can still wind up adding costs that you don’t want. That’s why you should turn to EcoGuard Pest Control for pest control in the greater Chicago area.
What Do Silverfish Look Like?
Silverfish are small insects that get their name from their tendency toward moist environments and the way their bodies sway when they walk, resembling a fish swimming through water. This is also what makes them pretty easy to tell apart from other insects that might invade a home or that you might find around your property. But it’s still important to go over some of the specific characteristics of silverfish so you know how to properly identify an infestation:
- Size: Silverfish don’t tend to be very large in size, usually only a fraction of an inch long.
- Shape: Silverfish have a unique teardrop shape when viewed from the top, making them, unlike other bugs.
- Color: Another telltale sign of silverfish is their unique color, which is the other part of where their name comes from. While some can be dull gray or even tan, silverfish often have reflective, metallic-looking shells that give them their silvery name.
If you spot silverfish in your home, get rid of them quickly and completely with assistance from EcoGuard Pest Control.
Five Naturally Effective Silverfish Prevention Tips
Even though silverfish aren’t known to bite people, they are known to chew through leather items or linens for food. They can also multiply quickly, becoming a large problem that isn’t easy to eliminate. That’s why early prevention offers you the best chance at avoiding a silverfish infestation. Here are some steps you should take:
- Moisture Control: Because they are drawn to moist areas, proper moisture control throughout your property is a must, especially in areas like basements where moisture tends to naturally pool or hang in the air.
- Access: Due to their small size, silverfish can gain access to a home through small cracks or holes in your walls, foundation, or even gaps below your door. Address these access points to ensure they can’t get in.
- Storage: Like other pests, silverfish can get inside boxes or other containers to nest. They also can damage old books or other items that aren’t stored in well-sealed containers, so thinking about smart ways to store your heirlooms and valuables is wise.
- Food: While they are known to chew through some upholstery materials, silverfish can also eat oats and grains or other food items, just like other bugs. Make sure you don’t leave food out, and store it in well-sealed containers.
- Treatments: The most effective form of silverfish control comes from professional treatments, which not only eliminate a population but can also protect against future infestations.
Keep silverfish out of your Chicago area home the right way with assistance from EcoGuard Pest Control.
Professional Silverfish Control For Your Home
The reason professional methods work is that trained experts know how to root out the entire problem – not just the silverfish themselves but the eggs that might be hiding elsewhere on a property. This is ultimately why DIY solutions or store products can be largely ineffective, because applying them improperly or not knowing all the places to look for silverfish will simply cause the infestation to come right back. Then, you’ll have wasted time and money on a method that didn’t actually solve the problem.
It’s always better to turn to pest control experts who not only know how to properly address silverfish but also use treatments that are safe for you and your home. To get the whole problem solved correctly, contact EcoGuard Pest Control today.