Frequently Asked Questions About Rodents
What are rodents?
Rodents are warm-blooded mammals that all share the physical trait of continuously growing front incisors. Rodents are prolific breeders that live worldwide in many habitats, including near people in urban and suburban areas.
The mouse, rat, and vole are three of the most common rodents to invade properties around the Greater Chicago area.
- Mice are small rodents and have oval-shaped bodies covered in gray, brown, or black fur, with the fur on their belly being lighter in color. A mouse's ears stand off their head, and a soft layer of hair covers the tail and ears. They have dark beady eyes and a triangular-shaped head.
- Adult rats are larger than adult mice. They have scaly hairless tails and ears and large, powerful jaws. Some rats have a slim build, while others have a heavy stocky build. Covering a rat's body is dark brown or black fur.
- Voles are small mouse-like rodents with short, stocky bodies covered in chestnut-brown fur. They have short legs and a short tail.
Are rodents dangerous?
When rodents decide to forage for food and shelter where we live, they become dangerous to both people and our properties.
They carry and spread fleas and ticks, disease-causing pathogens, and contaminate our store food and surfaces of our homes with bacteria.
Rodents will also use their sharp front incisors to chew on and damage boxes, furniture, clothing, and other personal belongings. Rodents can damage wires, insulation, vents, and other structural elements of our homes with their teeth.
In addition, knowing you are sharing your house with rodents is unsettling and can cause you to worry.
Why do I have a rodent problem?
Rodents, like most pests, are opportunistic and will make themselves at home on any property that provides them sources of shelter near reliable food and water sources.
Below are some of the most common things found in most of our yards that will attract the unwanted attention of rodents:
- Open trash cans
- Bird feeders
- Outdoor pet feeding areas
- Gardens and fruit trees
- Yard clutter
- Tall grass and dense vegetation
- Leaky pipes and hoses
When you find rodents have taken an interest in your Western Chicago property, reach out for professional rodent control!
Where will I find rodents?
Unfortunately, rodents are quite comfortable making themselves comfortable wherever there are people. They have learned that where we live will provide them with their basic needs.
Mice and rats are the type of rodents that will likely find their way into our homes in the suburbs of Western Chicago as they search for safe nesting spots and forage for food.
Both are prey animals, so they naturally like to remain hidden, and because they are nocturnal, rodents are most active during the evening and early morning hours. Hearing scratching or running sounds behind walls or above ceilings often alerts homeowners to a problem with these pests.
Common nesting sites for mice and rats inside our homes include wall voids, spaces behind appliances, inside storage boxes, and storage areas like closets, basements, and attics.
Voles are typically outdoor pests. Our yards provide these rodents with open grassy areas to create shallow burrows, underground nests, and food storage areas. A common sign of a vole problem is discovering holes in your yards that are entry and exits points for their underground nesting sites.
How do I get rid of rodents?
rust our family-owned-and-operated pest control company to help you rid your greater Chicago area property of rodents. Since 2002, we have been committed to our customers, offering superior pest control and customer service.
Certified and insured, you can trust EcoGuard Pest Control to help you maintain a property and keep it from being overrun by rodents and other common household pests. Our professionals have a deep understanding of pest behavior and, based on that knowledge, provide reliable, low-risk pest solutions.
For more information about rodents in Western Chicago, including how we can work together to keep them off your commercial property or home, reach out today.
How can I prevent rodents in the future?
While partnering with a professional is the best way to handle a rodent infestation, making changes in and around your home can help maintain a rodent-free home. Below are some of our top rodent prevention tips:
- Maintain your lawn and fill in any ground holes.
- Cut overgrown vegetation back from your home's exterior walls.
- Always place trash bags in containers with tight-fitting lids.
- Remove easy access to food by removing bird feeders, uneaten pet food, and regularly harvesting gardens.
- Quickly repair any holes or gaps that form in your home's exterior walls, roofline, or foundation.
- Remove clutter from your yard or home that can offer harborage areas for rodents.
Call today to learn more about rodent prevention and how we can work together to get rid of rodents from your Western Chicago property quickly! EcoGuard also offers bio-sanitation services for your western suburban property, call today to find out more!
Recent Blog Articles
Learn how to spot the signs of rats and about eco-friendly treatment options for Norway rats in the greater Chicago area, provided by EcoGuard Pest Control...Read More
Can’t seem to remove spiders from your Chicago-area home? Here’s how to remove this pest the easy way.Read More
What's the key to controlling centipedes in Greater Chicago? Learn more about these long pests today and find a few prevention tips to help you keep them o...Read More